Thursday, March 22, 2012

REVIEW: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE BY BETH REVIS

I recently finished reading Across The Universe by Beth Revis since I was on nocturnal duty as always. To be honest, I was a bit hesitant about it at first since it had mixed reviews but I’m glad that I read it. Anyhoo, the protagonists of the story are Elder and Amy.



The story starts of as Amy and her parents were being frozen so that they could  be shipped to another planet and reanimated after 300 years. Amy’s parents were essential for this project and she was just an excess baggage during their trip. Anyway, while Amy was in a frozen state she did manage to think and narrate the story. I have mixed feelings with regards to Amy. There were times when I wanted to smack her or something. I mean yeah, you woke up 50 years earlier but seriously girl you’re not alone and at the same time there were times when I just wanted to hug her. I think what happened to her; waking up without her parents is probably something I would not be able to handle. Anyhoo, I think Amy grew up as the story progressed. She wasn’t the type who’d just cry and be annoying. She did manage to become a strong heroine and that’s probably why I like her.

And of course, there’s Elder. To be honest, I never really got attached to Elder as much as I wanted to be. Usually, when I read novels I find myself drawn to the male characters but that didn’t happen in this case. It’s not that I don’t like him or anything I just cannot find myself drawn to this character. I do think his obliviousness to everything that’s going on is refreshing. I love his interactions with the people around him. As an individual character his appeal is somewhat lost to me but as a character with another character there’s just something about him and I can’t quite put my finger on it. I do love Elder but there’s just something about him that did not appeal to me as much as Adam from Shatter Me and Gale or Peeta from The Hunger Games did.

Overall, I think this is the type of novel who would definitely appeal to sci-fi and romance lovers even if there were only a few romantic scenes. The alternating POV’s is something that I liked about this book since we got to know Elder and Amy equally. There were parts that were just difficult to read but other than that I enjoyed the story. I wouldn’t mind reading A Million Suns though.

RATING: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment