Sunday, January 27, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Splintered by A.G. Howard

So uhm, I got a couple of books from the mail last week and one of them was Splintered by A.G.Howard. I actually pre-ordered this a month ago before its release date. I'm glad I did though. A.G. Howard is so awesome btw. Haven't exactly met her in person yet but I do get to tweet her from time to time and she's just soooooooo AWESOME. Go ahead and tweet her too. Haha. Anyhoo, I actually finished this book two days ago and I'm so happy that I finally found the time to review it. I've been a bit busy these past few days and I really couldn't sit down and write anything about this awesome book.

For the past few months I've been reading a lot of awesome females in books and Alyssa is not an exception. That statement in itself would mean a lot coming from me since I tend to dislike female characters a lot. I don't know why. I just do. Anyway, I love Alyssa. I felt really bad for her since she had to go through her life the way she did. Being separated from her mom probably did it for me. I really can't imagine growing up with an absentee mom. Well, I don't really know if you can call her an absentee mom since she didn't exactly choose being one but I guess she is. I really wanted to be her other mom at some point in the book and I'm just so happy that she wasn't as whiny as some female characters who feel like growing up without a parent is the worst possible thing that could happen to them. I really did find her disturbing in some ways because of her hobbies but as the Filipino saying goes "Walang basagan ng trip!" which is Filipino slang for "Let them do whatever it is that they want to do." Not really good with Filipino to English translations but that's close enough. I did want to smack her every now and then since she refuses to listen to Jeb but then again I guess that's her appeal to me as a character. Living in Wonderland through this book made me a very confusing person. I'm even contradicting myself. Haha.

Moving on to Jeb. First of all, can I just say that I find the lip piercing and punk-esque look so sexy? I don't know what it is but I really find Jeb sexy. Especially, the overprotective Jeb. I just can't help but swoon. I also love the fact that he was the anchor that kept Alyssa tethered to the real world when they were in Wonderland. The fact that he constantly kept on taking care of her just made him all the more alluring for me. I love his loyalty and unconditional love towards Ali. Even if it might come as stalker-ish to others. But honestly, I just think it's awesome in a lot of ways. 

And of course, there's Morpheus, our moth/caterpillar/whatever the hell he is. Haha. At first, I actually disliked him since he kept on manipulating everyone around him. He had hidden motives and everything but towards the end I actually started liking him. Yes, he's cunning and sly but he does think and calculate everything he does. And that's usually what gets them out of whatever mess that's they're in at the moment. I'm not saying that I agree with his manipulations and everything but in the end I think he was able to make up for every scheming that he did throughout the book. And I just can't help but love him.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this re-telling of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll. To be honest, what made me want to buy this book is its gorgeous cover which is something that I call eerily beautiful and really that would be the exact definition of "Judge a book by its cover" but for me this is one of those moments when you just have to look at things in a completely physical aspect and just let the rest follow. Lol. But seriously, this book is just awesome. I felt like I was in an amusement park when I was reading this since a lot of surprises just keep on popping up from everywhere. I love the way Wonderland was described in complete detail. I really love imagining things so describing it the way Ms. Howard did made me want to build my own Wonderland. The details are just exquisite and mesmerizing. There weren't any dull moments as well. It's not exactly fast paced like action movies but it wasn't slow either. It was somewhere in between. I was just that hooked. Anyway, I love the build up of the romance and just plain love (Everyone's sacrifice literally broke my heart in a gazillion pieces. Yes, I am mushy like that.) between the characters. The way they were willing to sacrifice their happiness to save the other was just heartbreaking. Anyway, I love the ending of the novel. I think whatever it is (No, I'm not going to spoil the book because I want you to buy and read it.) that happened is the perfect way to cap everything of. I truly enjoyed this and I'm recommending it to fans of the original Alice in Wonderland novels and Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely Series.

Rating: An easy 5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment