Wednesday, February 15, 2012

REVIEW: SLAVE BY SHERRI HAYES

I finished reading Slave by Sherri Hayes a few hours ago. It’s actually one of those dominant/ submissive stories minus the sex part since no sexual intercourse happened during the entire book. It was published by the same publishers who published the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James. The story’s main characters are Brianna and Stephan.



I actually liked this book. It was listed as a BDSM fiction in Goodreads and to be honest I was actually expecting something erotic since my first experience with a BDSM novel (Fifty Shades Of Grey) is probably something I would never forget. haha. Read the trilogy so you’d know. For me, this is a very heartwarming novel that would make you see BDSM in a different light.
Let me discuss the characters first.

There’s Brianna. I’m not entirely sure how Ian, a sadistic bastard, got his hands on her. She was either kidnapped or her dad was somehow involved. I’m not really sure. Anyway, I wanted to comfort this girl during the entire novel. She was just emotionally broken and it seemed like the only thing she knew was to submit to her “DOM”. She’s a lost girl who has lost everything even her free will until Stephan enters the picture.

And of course, there is our “DOM”, Stephan. He’s not exactly your typical “DOM”. I think he’s actually quite nice and compassionate to be a dominant. He always makes sure that whatever he does with his “SUB” is consensual. I think he is exactly what Brianna needs to overcome her fears. He’s domineering and yet gentle at the same time. His punishments are not that severe. I mean, he does not exactly beat up his “SUBS” to a pulp. I guess we still have to find out if that really is the case since according to Goodreads this is only the first book. Anyway, I like the way he has treated the broken girl so far. He really is very considerate with regards to her feelings. And I think he’s the right “DOM” for someone like Brianna.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the story. I think it lacked some elements but I just can’t put my finger on it. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I enjoyed reading the Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James but I wouldn’t mind reading the next book if there really is another one. I think the Dom/ Sub element in the story is unique. You could really see why some people need to be “dominated” in order to survive. I’m giving this a 3.5/5 star rating though.

No comments:

Post a Comment