Saturday, January 21, 2012

REVIEW: VAMPIRE ACADEMY BY RICHELLE MEAD

I finished reading Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead a few hours ago and to be honest I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I usually love stories about vampires and other supernatural beings but I found this novel a little unbearable at times. The story revolves around the lives of Rose, a Dhampir, and Lissa, a Moroi princess mixed with a little bit of vampire politics.



Anyway, the story opens with Rose and Lissa in a dorm who are in hiding after running off from the Vampire Academy two years ago and being found by the VA’s Guardians. I liked Rose in the first parts of the story. I think she’s one bad ass chick compared to other heroines from other vampire novels I’ve read.  But somehow in the middle of the story she was able to make herself very irritating. I think she’s just too narcissistic and selfish for her own good. I mean, yeah she doesn’t wear designer clothes or anything but her attitude somehow pisses me off. I usually love bad ass chicks when it comes to reading any novel but somehow I find her bad ass persona very annoying and I found myself liking her less as the story progressed. I don’t hate her or anything but I just can’t stand her in some parts of the story. Anyway, I did admire her dedication towards protecting Lissa.

Then, there’s Lissa. I kinda liked Lissa more than I liked Rose. I don’t even know why. Maybe because she’s not a bitch or anything. I just like her more. Period. I love this girl’s power, if only it didn’t leave her with ill consequences. I also love her interactions with Christian. This somehow made me like this novel a little. I like Christian and I think he’s good for Lissa. The only thing I didn’t like about Lissa was her dependence towards Rose. I think she could’ve been written a little better, maybe a little independent.

Truth be told, I’m not really that looking forward to reading the next installment. I read this because of all the hype that it’s been getting in the internet and I just couldn’t allow myself to be left behind since this has been out since the year 2007. I had high expectations and I guess I was a little bit disappointed. I think the concept of the Moroi, Strigoi and Dhampirs is unique and I commend Ms. Mead for thinking of such. The writing was simple and could be understood by a younger audience. Oh wait! This is not for the younger audience since there are swear words and stuff. haha. Another person that probably made me finish this novel is Dimitri Belikov. Man, that Russian dude is hot! I like him a lot and I think he made the story more enjoyable for me. haha. Anyway, I’d give this a 3/5 stars.

Not really looking forward to reading the next one though.

No comments:

Post a Comment