Wednesday, January 25, 2012

REVIEW: WICKED LOVELY BY MELISSA MARR

I was finally able to finish Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr after several failed attempts. haha. Yes, I started reading this about four times before I was actually able to finish it. I didn’t expect to like this book that much but since my friend has been begging me to read this since 2011 I just had to agree. The first book’s main protagonists are Aislinn and Keenan the Summer King who is searching for his long lost Summer Queen.



To be honest, I didn’t like Aislinn that much in this book. I think she whined too much. She didn’t want to deal with anything. All she did was complain and cry and I kinda saw her as a weakling in this novel. I actually think she’s the reason why I couldn’t get past the first chapter during my failed attempts at reading this book. My fascination with faeries and other fey folk started with Julie Kagawa’s The Iron Fey Series, btw. But as I neared the end, I started liking her. I like it when girls know how to stand for themselves. I liked the bargaining thing that went on between her and Keenan as the novel neared its end.

Then there’s Keenan. I like Keenan’s character. Yeah, he’s hot just like every YA guy character out there but that’s beside the point. I like the way he tried to get what he wants (and needs), I think it proves how good he is as a king of the Summer Court even though his powers are not at its peak. He can be gentle and ruthless at the same time and I believe that is a good trait for a ruler of any realm. There were times when I just wanted to give him a hug too. I pity him for having a mother like Beira. 

I also liked the side characters in this book namely Donia, Niall and Seth. I like Seth because he’s hot, sexy blah blah, just kidding but he is hot and sexy. haha. Anyway, I liked the way his character was written. He’s like a walking chamomile tea because he’s just so calm which makes him so cool in my eyes. I just like him and I think he is really good for Aislinn. And of course, there’s Donia, the Winter Girl. I just wanted to hug her from time to time. I felt her sadness and her longing for Keenan and I just can’t help but sympathize with her. I saw the conflicts and her dilemmas and I’m glad that she made the right decisions in the end even if none of the odds favored her. I just can’t help but like her. Anyway, I won’t go into detail with Niall since he is the major player in the second installment and I don’t want to spoil myself by trying to guess whatever it is that I should write about him.


Anyway, I honestly liked this book although the first chapter (yes, just the first chapter) was kinda slow for me. I did enjoy The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa more but this comes to a close second. I think this is a well written novel and the concept of faerie politics was described in a very detailed manner. I think The Iron Fey Series and Wicked Lovely made me see faeries in a different light. Not just as little winged creatures who dance and sing like Tinkerbell. I also liked the way this book ended since it didn’t really go to the cliche endings. Anyway, you just have to read it to know what I’m talking about. I think the mash up of faerie politics and romance is very intriguing and this two series actually made me shift from my usual vampire genre to faeries. Overall, I’m giving this book a 4/5 stars.

CURRENTLY READING: WICKED LOVELY #2: INK EXCHANGE BY MELISSA MARR

No comments:

Post a Comment